Thursday, October 29, 2009

Identity

Identity (2003)

Directed by James Mangold. Written by Michael Cooney.

Every time I watch this flick, I forget how good it is. However, I don’t know why I like it so much. It suffers from the same problem that most thrillers did post The Sixth Sense – the inevitable “twist ending.” But I can look past that. This flick is a blast!

Without spoiling the plot, the only thing I’ll say about the plot is that it takes place mostly in an old motel just outside my former home (and current meth-town) Carson City. Ten strangers are trapped there in a brutal rainstorm, and when they start getting brutally murdered, they’re forced to confront each other.

What I will say is that the performances are spot-on. Most people don’t like John Cusack when he’s not being funny or Lloyd Dobler, but I do. The Ice Harvest, 1408, who can honestly say those aren’t awesome flicks? But here, he perfects the “wounded heart” acting skills that he uses for the subsequent six years. Ray Liotta yells a lot, and if there’s anything Ray Liotta can do it is yell. See Narc for further proof. Jake Busey gets acting lessons from his dad, and acts like a madman, chewing scenery like it’s bubble gum. And John C. McGinley continues to prove why he is one of the best bit-part character actors working today.

I absolutely love the beginning of this movie. James Mangold, who also did Walk the Line and 3:10 to Yuma, does what he does best, and that is make people talking seem exciting. The editing where you see the actor, and the frame freezes and rewinds, so you get a little bit of their back story is just brilliant. One of my other favorite parts is the events leading up to the reveal. It’s frenetic, chaotic, and completely crazy, and I love the way the reality of the film falls apart.

Downsides? The plot is a little unbelievable. But stick through it, because it’s worth it. Also, when the killer is revealed, you’re going to laugh.

This is one of my favorite movies, and after watching it, even my girlfriend agreed. You owe it to yourself to watch this flick.

1 comment:

  1. This has been one of my favorites since I first saw it as well. I think it slipped through the cracks, though, because at the time it came out, every other movie was about some kind of weird psychological disorder/multiple personality disorder. I'm glad they aren't doing THAT to death, anymore. Definitely a great film and worth the watch, I agree!

    ReplyDelete